Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 23 Heading home

Before catching the 11am train to Barcelona, Dave and I took Joe and most of his kids to a farewell breakfast AND birthday breakfast for Hannah at Valor in Campello, the best churro and chocolate place this side of the Andes. We were facing the waves, right on the beach as the sun was overtaking the water on the horizon. Good times with the fam!! I really do love this place where I spent my formative years.

After an uneventful 5 hour train ride through the eastern border of Spain, we arrived in Barcelona. We killed a little time visiting la Sagrada Familia cathedral, then to Yolanda's house for dinner and a quick night of sleep before our flight back to Knoxville.

For those who don't know, Yolanda is like a second mother to all the Platt kids. She was 17 when she met my mother in Barcelona back in the early 50's and they lived together for years and have been best friends ever since. Yolanda is, like my mother, a ball of loving energy. I could write paragraphs of her accomplishments (such as founding the Spanish national Alzheimer's foundation 30+ years ago, which now has hundreds of chapters around the country)! It is always a joy to spend time with her and it was especially good to have her speak several hours of words of wisdom into David's life...I could tell he was soaking it all in.

I am writing this on Tuesday morning, day 24 of this amazing journey with Dave. We are headed home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment